U.S. Citizens Living Abroad Can File Their Income Tax Return Online

Report Worldwide Income by law, Americans residing abroad, and many other non-U.S. residents, have to file a federal income tax return to the Internal Revenue Service and report any outside worldwide income earned in any country. Some key tax perks, like the non-foreign earned income exclusion, are only accessible to individuals who file an actual U.S. tax return. Some of the countries where non-resident Americans can file their taxes are: Panama, Moldova, Ukraine, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the United States. Some countries also have special rules for residents of certain countries who are also taxed or have tax concerns, including: Gibraltar, Guyana, Burundi, and Jamaica. However, the majority of countries allow non-resident Americans to file a tax return regardless of their country of citizenship, even if they live abroad.

report worldwide

If you are a resident alien living abroad and wish to report your income tax return, you will need to file an application with the Internal Revenue Service. Once filed, you will be able to automatically receive an extension on the tax year in which you need to file your return. In most cases, extensions are granted for either one year or two years. However, if you were a nonresident U.S. citizen who was granted an automatic extension, and wish to file for another year, you will again need to file an application for an extension.

As stated above, a majority of taxpayers are granted an automatic extension on their tax year by the Internal Revenue Service, for a specific period of time. Other taxpayers (including those not receiving an automatic extension) may be required to file their income tax returns for the next year, and many times will receive further extensions based upon their filing status. However, many will also receive further reductions in their tax liabilities if they have filed all of their financial reports and other paperwork properly, and if they meet other requirements. Those taxpayers who are unable to obtain an extension from the IRS for one reason or another, and who do not meet other requirements, could be subject to fines if they are unable to file their returns for the next year. There are several options available for those citizens unable to file their tax returns for the full amount due, including the ability to file electronically for free, and to receive a refund.

You may also like